15 September 2011

A Korean Update... With Pictures!

Last Wednesday, the 7th, I got to Reagan National Airport at 4:30 am to begin my trek across the country, and then across the Pacific Ocean. The next 25 hours are lost in a blur of airpot trams, plane boardings, and too-small airplane seats. I arrived in Korea around 6 pm local time, on the 8th. After running the gauntlet of immigration, baggage claim, and customs, the very helpful information desk people helped me buy my bus ticket to the correct Gwangju (the one in Gyungki-do). They also guided me through ground transportation to the correct stop to wait for my bus. 

 I moved into my apartment on Saturday, after staying with my school director and his family for a couple days while the previous teacher moved out. As you will see from the pictures, I am not completely settled and organized... that may happen sometime around when I have to pack to leave, if I know me.



This view is standing on my bed, all the way in the opposite corner of the apartment.


This is next to the door, in front of the refrigerator.


Here's my little patio, complete with washing machine and drying rack.


And my tiny, unseparated bathroom - I'm not quite used to showering in the middle of the room yet.

I arrived for the festival of Chuseok, and so even more than normal, my Korean hosts were anxious to make sure I had enough to eat.


These are the traditional rice cakes - my favorites were the ones with sesame and honey filling.


Here we have the radish kimchi that is my new favorite food. Homemade and delicious!

I will try to get pictures of my neighborhood up next...

=)

2 comments:

  1. Yay Tess! Miss you. I love Kimchi, totally jealous. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update! and photos! can't wait to read/see more

    ReplyDelete