06 December 2009

A list...

I may have mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating: I love lists. I get causght up in the creation of lists and before I know it time has disappeared... time which I really needed for other things, like term papers or cleaning or reading articles or the giant pile of library books I have somehow acquired. But never mind, since I made the list, I will share it with you...

A list of food-related books which I would like to read:
  • I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti by Giulia Melucci
  • The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis by Tara Austen Weaver
  • Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human by Richard W. Wrangham
  • The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken: A Search for Food and Family by Laura Schenone
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances by Laura Schenone
  • From Betty Crocker to Feminist Food Studies: Critical Perspectives on Women And Food by Arlene Voski Avakian (Editor), Barbara Haber (Editor)
  • The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography by Gilly Smith
  • The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater by Nigel Slater
  • Liquid Jade: The Story of Tea from East to West by Beatrice Hohenegger
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World by Laura C. Martin
  • The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide by Mary Lou Heiss
  • Insatiable: Tales from a Life of Delicious Excess by Gael Greene
  • My Life in France by Alex Prud'homme, Julia Child
  • Service Included: Four-Star Secrets of an Eavesdropping Waiter by Phoebe Damrosch
  • American Food Writing: An Anthology: With Classic Recipes by Molly O'Neill (Editor)
  • Alice Waters and Chez Panisse: The Romantic, Impractical, Often Eccentric, Ultimately Brilliant Making of a Food Revolution by Thomas McNamee
  • A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg
  • The School of Essential Ingredients
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table, a Collection of Essays form The New York Times
  • The Hunger: A Story of Food, Desire, and Ambition
  • Eating My Words: An Appetite for Life
  • What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes
  • Amarcord: Marcella Remembers
  • Hungry Monkey: A Food-Loving Father's Quest to Raise an Adventurous Eater by Matthew Amster-Burton
  • The Recipe Writer's Handbook, Revised and updated
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen
  • More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
  • The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen
  • It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: My Adventures in Life and Food
It is by no means a complete list, and I think there in may lay some of the seduction of lists - they always need one more item... What would you add?

2 comments:

  1. You've probably read them already, but I would add:

    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
    A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain
    Heat by Bill Buford

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Like Water for Chocolate and A Cook's Tour, but I had forgotten about Heat. Thanks! That will be going on my master list.
    =)

    ReplyDelete